1. Valvona & Crolla – probably the best deli in Edinburgh for all things Italian. The shop was established in 1934 and has grown from supplying old Edinburgh’s fledgling Italian immigrant community to becoming much, much more. They’ve also won many awards for their food and drink. Have a look at their website to find out more. You can also shop online.
2. Fortnum & Mason – established since 1707 in Piccadilly, is one of Britain’s top names for upmarket foodie delights. As well as groceries they also sell wines, teas, and they even keep their own honey bees on their Piccadilly rooftop. Read all about it, and their very interesting history, on their website. They also offer online shopping.
3. Partridges – this Royal Warranted, Kensington-based grocery store offers wonderful deli products as well as speciality teas and much more. They also have an extensive range of American products. As with most of the best grocers these days, they also have an online shop.
4. Neal’s Yard Dairy – here’s a treat for cheese fans. Neal’s sells British farm cheeses, they sell online too. Some of these cheese names are quite amusing, such as Lincolnshire Poacher and Innes Log. Among other things they sell regional cheese selections, gift vouchers, and they also organise tutored tastings.
5. Daylesford Organic – this could be the poshest farm shop in Britain. They have all kinds of produce for sale in their farm shop. They have a bakery, a creamery, a cooking school and a farm school too. You can shop online and also use their personal shopper service.