Choux pastry is very quick and easy to make. I dug this recipe out of my old chef’s college folder. The quantities are enough to make six chocolate eclairs. (Photos coming soon)
- ¼ pint water
- pinch of salt and sugar
- 2 oz margarine or butter
- 2½ oz strong flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
1. Bring the water, sugar and fat to boil in a saucepan. (Get a big enough pan because you’re going to add the flour into it later.)
2. Remove from the heat.
3. Add the flour and mix in with a wooden spoon. (The idea is to dump all the flour in at once.)
4. Return the pan to the heat and stir continuously until the mixture leaves the side of the pan.
5. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
6. Gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing well.
The paste should be of dropping consistency. Having made the paste, you can now go on to make eclairs or profiteroles.